In Part 1 of this series, I talked about how we’re all influencers. Each one of us can use our lives to impact others and make a difference in this world. If you missed it, click here.
Today I want to give a quick list of seven practical tips and ideas for how we can use our influence, online and offline, for God’s glory.
- Pray: Our prayers are powerful and effective (James 5:16). Our prayers may not always change things in the way we may have thought or hoped, but God listens to our prayers and can change others, our circumstances or us.
- Sharing our faith: We can continually point people to Jesus by sharing about church, the Bible, or why we put our hope in Christ. It can be as simple as posting a Bible verse online or inviting neighbors to a special event at church.
- Forgive: Forgiveness can be one of most powerful things we do. It’s not always easy to forgive and it doesn’t mean we condone or forget what the other person did to us. Forgiveness means we chose to set our hearts free from allowing the person or their transgression to have power over us. It means we choose to follow Jesus’ example and command to forgive one another as He has forgiven us.
- Give grace: Like forgiveness, grace is giving someone unmerited favor. When someone drops the ball, bumps into you, or is just being a little grumpy, let’s give them grace. When we think about how much we need grace, we’ll be eager to give it.
- Be our most authentic selves: God made each of us wonderfully, with different personalities, gifts, and strengths. Celebrate and be confident in who God made you to be. Don’t shrink back because you’re afraid that other people won’t like you. Your voice, your life experiences, and your gifts matter. You’re needed in this world!
- Keep your eyes and ears open: Let’s always be on the lookout for ways we can help others. Let’s listen to people. Let’s notice often overlooked things, like the mom struggling at Target who just needs a hand. Or our coworker who always eats lunch alone. Let’s include people and be the first to initiate connection.
- Live out Colossians 3:17: “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
Author Jess Connolly says, “When you’re out for the glory of God and the good of others, you can’t lose.”
What other ideas do you have on how to use our influence for God’s glory? I’d love to hear them!
You must be logged in to post a comment.